Remember your membership benefits include Prompt Appointments, Longer one on one time and
virtual visits with the doctor!!! You don’t necessarily have to come in to be taken care of!
It’s Not Too Late To Prevent (Or Get) The Flu!
Cold and flu season is still on the rise and there are a lot of things you can do to prevent getting sick.
- Get your Flu Shot. The flu is a contagious disease that spreads each year usually between October and May. Anyone can get the flu, but it is more dangerous for infants and younger children, people 65 years of age and older, pregnant women, and people with a weakened immune system. Remember it takes about 2 weeks for the protection to develop after the vaccination. We have flu shots available in our office for $20 for members! Call today 386-492-1064! (We offer on-site clinics for our business clients)
- Wash your hands and avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Most viruses are unintentionally introduced by rubbing our eyes, nose, or mouth with unclean fingers!
- Don’t sleep on sleep. Your immune system goes to work when you are resting. Trying to “push through” a cold will only make it last longer, get some rest!
- Avoid sharing pens in public and wipe down your shopping cart.
- Cover your cough like a vampire!
- Practice good nutrition. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables, high quality protein and load up on Vitamin C
- Minimize shaking hands and try to stay a safe distance from coughing and sneezing people. Although the droplets from a sneeze can travel up to 26 feet, the largest droplets settle within 6 feet of the person!
See below for a list of Dr. Kim’s favorite natural cold remedies!
Elderberry and Echinacea – Antiviral and immune-supporting herbs. These natural extracts help treat influenza, colds and sinus infections. Elderberry was found to block viruses from entering host cells. In studies, elderberry was found to decrease flu symptoms 4 days earlier those taking a placebo. I use the syrups of each, elderberry comes in gummy, lozenge form as well. I’ll be honest, echinacea tastes terrible and makes your tongue tingle, but my 3 years old will take it followed by sweet elderberry syrup which they love.
Oregano Oil – Nature’s Antibiotic. Carvacrol, the active ingredient in oregano oil has been shown to have anti-bacterial, anti-viral and even anti-fungal properties. I recommend starting this only when symptoms start, not-daily. This comes in a liquid capsule form only and is difficult for kids, so my kids often skip this one.
Allium is found in garlic and onions has also been studied to be anti-viral, so please consider adding these to foods.
Of course, remember to get plenty of rest, our bodies do their housekeeping and restoration during those deep sleep hours so this is vital to wellness. Drink plenty of water, teas with local honey, and try to eat as healthy as possible in order to speed up recovery or stay healthy in the first place.
We carry all of the above-mentioned products in the office, otherwise they can be found in health food stores as well. I wish everyone a healthy, cold/flu- free season!
Yours In Health,
Dr. Haynes, Dr. Kim, Miriam, Gina and Shantel